I remember the days like they were yesterday. Walking into my grandma’s house and smelling the sweet smell of her hot milk cake. I always looked forward to it and I knew that it would be the perfect cake to celebrate my husband’s birthday on Tuesday! Wes LOVES lemon things. Lemon candy, lemon bars, lemon filled donuts, and- you guessed it- lemon cake. I actually made this cake for him a few years ago on his 23rd birthday and he loved it, so I thought I would make it again this year. I was super worried about how it would turn out, seeing that I hadn’t baked a cake from scratch in 5 years or so…but it turned out really well! One of the things I really love about this cake, is that it uses ingredients you already have in your pantry! The only thing I needed to go buy was lemon pudding mix. It’s super easy to make and it tastes delicious. So go ahead, bake and enjoy!
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees and spraying to circle cake pans with oil.
- Melt your stick of butter in a saucepan on low heat.
- Once butter is melted, stir in the milk and vanilla extract. Let heat until it bubbles and then turn heat down to low and let simmer.
- In a mixing bowl, beat your 4 eggs and your sugar together with a mixer. Mix extremely well, up to 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine your flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly beat your flour mixture into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Once they are mixed together, slowly beat in your milk and butter mixture (hot milk, get it?!:)).
- Split your mix up into the 2 round pans and put in the oven.
- The actual baking time will depend on your personal oven, but mine cooks rather quickly so it was done it 45 minutes. I would check on it every few minutes after 45 minutes to make sure it doesn’t over cook. Stick a toothpick in it if you are unsure.
- Let cake cool on a cooling rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make your lemon pudding. You can use prepackaged kind or from scratch. I’m lazy so I used instant, but I’m sure real pudding would taste even better! When the pudding is done place it in the fridge to thicken up a bit.
- Once cake is cool, cut the cakes in half horizontally so that you have 4 cakes.
- Spread the cooled pudding between the layers of the cake and stack them up!
- Sift powdered sugar over the top of the cake!
- You are done! Enjoy!