Mac and cheese has got to be my favorite food. Okay, so I don’t know if I could every REALLY pick a favorite food, I love them all too much….but mac and cheese is up there at the top. That’s why when I found this mac & cheese cookbook online before Christmas, I sent a link to my mother immediately asking for it as a gift. She needed ideas, and I needed to harbor an even deeper obsession with macaroni and cheese:)
Last night, I made my first dish…all I have to say is, “OMG!” It’s creamy, it’s cheesy, it tastes better than anything I have ever had before. The whole ideas behind the book is that you make what they call “mac sauce” and you can add different types of cheese and then different toppings and such. That mac sauce, yeah, that’s what makes the entire thing a creamy, delicious delight. This is not good for you…like, at all…but oh my is it good! Haha!
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded romano cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Bread crumbs
- Start a pot of boiling water for your noodles and get them going!
- Put 3 cups of milk into a saucepan on high until boiling. Once it starts to boil remove from heat.
- In a separate pan, melt your butter.
- Once melted, whisk in your flour until the concoction is a creamy brown kind of color.
- Whisk in your hot milk little by little.
- Once everything is all together in one pan, turn the heat back on and cook that baby up!
- The sauce will get quite thick, this is good:)
- Stir in your shredded cheeses until they have all melted in to the “mac sauce”.
- Add salt and pepper to your liking, or any other seasonings you would like.
- You can either serve now, or you can top with bread crumbs and toss it in the oven for 1o minutes or so like I did. I think bread crumbs give it a little extra somethin’ somethin’.
There you have it, best mac and cheese ever! Don’t forget to pick up a copy of the Mac & Cheese Cookbook from Amazon, it’s the cheapest I’ve found it yet. And no, this isn’t sponsored by the book, I just love mac & cheese that much:)