I’m not a health kick guys! Woohoo! I’ve been doing really well with eating healthy and I’ve been working out regularly. I’ve even been taking Sophie on walks every night (except when it was like 30 degrees….) Now, I realize that alfredo sauce is not the healthiest thing ever, but when you put it over spaghetti squash instead of pasta it makes it infinitely better for you! haha! You may remember this recipe of spaghetti squash with meat sauce a few weeks back, and I still vouch that it is the best one ever….but when you’re in the mood for a creamy sauce this one, is top notch.
I have been a pasta addict since the days of the Little Caesars spaghetti bucket back in the day, so giving it up cold turkey is just NOT going to happen for me. I have to say though, that this recipe is a GREAT alternative! It is filling and it does a great job at creating the same sort of consistency. If you have never had a spaghetti squash before you will want to check out the directions down there, because I just away my BIGGEST spaghetti squash secret: how I cut the damn thing! Enjoy!
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 jar alfredo sauce- I used Classico Garlic Alfredo
- 1 bell pepper- I used half a red and half a yellow
- 1/2 lb shrimp
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Parmesan cheese
- Suggestion: This would also be fantastic with some spinach and mushrooms in it!
- Start by heating your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut your spaghetti squash in half. This is a hard one. Thankfully I already have a method and it’s super secret, but I’m going to share anyways haha! I have three words for you, pumpkin carving knife. It works so well and is the only way that is even worth the try:)
- Scrape out the seeds on the inside of your squash, just like you would a pumpkin at Halloween.
- Spread some olive oil on the insides of the squash and sprinkle it with some salt and pepper.
- Lay your squash face down on a tinfoil covered cookie sheet. Put some olive oil on the tinfoil to prevent it from sticking!
- Once your oven reaches 400 degrees, put your squash in the oven.
- Cook your squash for about 30-45 minutes, depending on your oven, or until it is soft.
- Once your squash is soft, remove from the heat and, using a oven mit to hold it still, scrape out your spaghetti squash with a fork. It should be a spaghetti like consistency! You don’t have to scrape the entire squash out, but at least do the top part.
- Cook your peppers in a frying pan until done.
- Add your tomatoes and shrimp, and cook until the tomatoes are soft and burst with very little pressure.
- Add your sauce and simmer on medium-low until your squash is fully cooked.
- I also like to add a little spice to mine with some basil, oregano, minced garlic, and crushed red pepper.
Spaghetti Squash Bowls:
- Once the squash and sauce are done, scoop your sauce out into your squash bowl.
- Cover with cheese if you would like.
- Pop it back in to oven for 5-10 minutes or until that cheese has melted.
We like to eat ours out of the squash like a bowl. Makes life more fun. But, you can scoop it all out and be normal too. Have fun and let me know if you end up trying it out!