Tortilla soup is one of my absolute favorite things to get at a Mexican restaurant. I love the simplicity of it all, and it doesn’t make me feel quite as full and bloated as all of the other Mexican dishes I love so much. I have been making tortilla soup in the crock pot for years now and have JUST about perfected my version. It’s healthy and light and can easily be made paleo or whole30 for those of us that are in to that sort of thing! When I’m being a good paleo girl, I tend to make the entire soup minus the beans and corn and then add those items to Wes’ soup since he likes them. What a good wife I am:)
- 2-4 Chicken breasts (depending on amount of servings you want)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (optional- you can also use ALL fresh tomatoes)
- 2 fresh tomatoes- diced
- 1 medium onion- diced
- 2 jalapeños- diced
- 1 green bell pepper- chopped
- 1 red bell pepper- chopped
- 1 can green chiles (optional- you can also use fresh green chiles)
- 1 cup of frozen corn (optional for those that are paleo)
- 1 can black beans (optional for those that are paleo)
- 4 garlic gloves- chopped
- 2.5 cups chicken broth (This is the kind I use.)
- 1 tsp cilantro or 2 tsp fresh cilantro-chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt- to taste
- Pepper- to taste
- Jack cheese mix
- Tortilla chips/strips
- Sour Cream
- Greek Yogurt
- Start your crock pot and put your chicken breasts in there.
- Add your diced tomatoes, and veggies (not including corn and beans) to the crock pot.
- Add chicken broth and all spices to the mix.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- With 30 minutes left, add your corn and beans.
- Serve hot with some lime juice squeezed over top.
- Some really awesome topping are tortilla strips, cheddar jack cheese, avocado, sour cream, or Greek yogurt!
This is one of my all time favorite recipes, it’s great for warming you up in cold weather! I also like to make this in the summer as a light dinner, or for a cook out! Such a versatile soup and so delicious!
I hope you all enjoy!