Today is Day #19 of my first every whole30. Since my last update, things have gotten a lot easier. I have gotten used to making healthy dinners my #1 priority when I get home from work and have been planning it all out very well! I haven’t had as many cravings- unless I see something I love in person, or smell it…smelling it is the worst! I have come across a few recipes that I ABSOLUTELY love and will be sure to share more of them as the weeks go on.
Today’s recipe was actually inspired by the Spinach Salad at La Madeleine. I have to say though, I’m pretty sure mine is better…sorry Madeleine! It’s quick, it’s easy, and most importantly it’s whole30 compliant! Woohoo!
- 1 Chicken breast
- 2-3 strips of whole30 compliant sugar free bacon
- Red bell pepper
- Sliced mushrooms
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Chopped Garlic
- I start in the morning by marinating the chicken. Put it into a plastic baggie with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a dash of salt and pepper. Let this sit in the fridge for a few hours, but if you don’t have a lot of time, 15-30 minutes will do just fine.
- Once your chicken is marinated, go ahead and start chopping your fruit and veggies. I hesitate to put measurements on these because everyone will like a little bit more of one item than another, so play it by ear depending on your tastes. I used about a cup of strawberries, 1/4 cup of red bell pepper strips, 1/4 cup of mushroom slices, and 2 cups of spinach.
- Set your veggies aside and throw that chicken on to the grill. Cook until the middle is no longer pink!
- While your chicken is grilling, put your bacon into a frying pan and cook until crisp.
- Once cooled, you will crumble the bacon into little bits.
- Now, it’s time to start on your dressing. I usually make it in a glass measuring cup so that I know how much I am making and don’t have to dirty another bowl. Add one part balsamic, 3 parts olive oil. The sprinkle in some salt and pepper, and add that chopped garlic. Stir using a whisk or fork. You will have to stir again before serving because this separates VERY quickly. (I use 1/4 cup balsamic, 1/2 cup olive oil and have some left over for later!)
- Once the chicken is done cooking, slice it into pieces.
- Now it’s time to put your salad together! Throw that spinach in a bowl and add all of your chopped ingredients. Give that dressing a little stir and pour some on top!
- Enjoy! This is honestly one of Wes and I’s favorite things to eat right now. It’s perfect for lunch or dinner and those strawberries, yum! I never thought I would enjoy fruit on a salad until I had this…now I just can’t get enough!
Feel free to pin this recipe to your whole30/paleo/healthy eating boards on Pinterest! I hope you all enjoy!