Even though we really don’t celebrate Valentine’s day here in the Todd household, it’s still really fun to decorate and dress for! Let’s be real, when do I ever turn down a chance to craft? Lol! Last year, I made this super fun heart shaped wreath out of a pool noodle, and this year it’s a fun elbow patch sweater! Valentine’s day just gives us all a chance to wear our hearts on our sleeve…yes, pun intended!
This years Valentine’s craft is so easy it isn’t even funny. All you need is a cardigan, some fabric, and one of the following: thread, iron-on adhesive, or double sided tape. It really depends on how permanent you want your patches to be! Just get together all of your supplies and then follow the steps below!
- Google image search “heart” and find one that suits your liking.
- Save the image to your computer and print it out on card stock- you may have to re-size the heart a few times to get the size you want.
- Cut out your card stock heart.
- Use your heart as a stencil to cut out your fabric pieces.
- Put on your cardigan and pin your heart to your elbow where you want it to be.
- Take off the cardigan and decide which type of adhesive you are going to use.
- If you want a permanent patch and have a sewing machine, sew around the perimeter of the hearts on each elbow.
- If you want a permanent patch, but don’t have a sewing machine (or aren’t very good at it;-)) stick your iron on adhesive between the patches and the sweater- iron.
- If you want a less permanent solution and would like to wear your sweater again without the patches grab some double sided tape like this. You will wants extra strong kind. This will allow you to wear the sweater with patches once, and then you can remove them and reapply as needed using more tape.
Ta da! Isn’t it adorable? I think it’s the perfect little Valentine’s sweater without being too overly gaudy! Have a fun Valentine craft or post? Link to it in the comments so I can come check them out!
Don’t forget to check out last years Valentine’s posts: